Thursday, November 09, 2006

Why We Love Violence

Mystery, dead bodies and violence make for good books and good movies, right? I love horror thrillers and I know that a lot of my peers do too. Why is it that we love these types of movies and books? I think that we like these types of stories because they make us uncomfortable, they make our adrenaline rush and most importantly they are not real. I think the last reason is the most important reason, but what happens when things become less fantastic and become more real?
Lippman’s book is a fiction, but is it based on truth? I am a firm believer that every story no matter how ridiculous or impossible has some tiny, miniscule shred of truth in them. Lippman’s book may not be that far from the truth and if it’s not where in or out of our comfort zone does that put us? We are Baltimore residents and Lippman’s book is set in Baltimore, what does it mean to us if anything at all? Should we consider Lippman’s book as an over dramatized piece of fiction or as a glimpse of a Baltimore we don’t belong to?
How does Lippman’s book change our perspective on Baltimore if at all? For me, it only strengthens my dislike for the foster care system. I wonder about Baltimore schools and the direction in which they are heading. I also wonder about (and please forgive me, because this sounds corny) the children, what am I doing to help the children? Although Lippman’s book is fiction, the violence in Baltimore city is not, what does this mean for the Year of the City? What does this mean for Loyola? We are living in a city where the future (the kids) are fated to grow up surrounded by violence and poverty. Where is the city heading and why does it matter to us? Does it become a problem when the line between reality and fiction becomes blurred?